A criminal record can follow you through your life. Luckily, you may be eligible for expungement. Expungement allows an individual’s record to be essentially sealed from the public. It is important to know that your record is not erased and can still be accessed by certain members of law enforcement. Read on to learn more about the consequences of a criminal record and whether you are eligible for expungement.
Possible Consequences of a Criminal Record?
A criminal record can impact you in a number of important ways. For example, your record may affect your opportunities when it comes to:
- Pursuing higher education: If you are interested in pursuing higher education, it is important to note that the majority of applications will ask about your criminal history. This may impact your opportunity to get into a school.
- Securing employment: If you have applied for a job, you have likely seen a section about your criminal history. Again, this can impact your employment opportunities.
- Securing certain loans: Banks may be hesitant to loan money to individuals with a record.
- Finding housing: Often, landlords will ask about your criminal history.
- Obtaining child custody: A criminal record may come up when it comes to child custody matters.
Am I Eligible To Have My Record Expunged?
It is important to know that not all individuals can have their criminal records expunged, simply due to the nature of the crime. Some of the crimes that are not eligible for an expungement in New Jersey include the following:
- Aggravated sexual assault
- Crimes against children
- The distribution, sale, or possession with the intention of distributing controlled substances
If you are unsure whether you are eligible for expungement, contact an attorney as soon as possible. The sooner you reach out, the sooner we can get your future back on track.
Our firm believes that your past mistakes should not define your future. If you are interested in having your record expunged, contact our firm today. We are here to advocate for you every step of the way.
Contact our Firm
The dedicated and compassionate attorneys at Vigilante Law Firm, P.C. would be happy to provide you with assistance in your case and help you protect your future when so much is on the line. Contact us today to schedule a consultation so we can assess the specific circumstances surrounding your lawsuit.