What Happens if I Am Accused of Violating the Terms of Parole?

Contact Us
unlocking handcuffs key

If you are charged with a crime in the state of New Jersey, you may be facing some sort of jail time. However, depending on the specifics of your crime, you may have the opportunity for parole later down the line. Read on to discover what happens if you are accused of violating the terms of parole and how one of the experienced New Jersey & Pennsylvania criminal defense lawyers at The Vigilante Law Firm can help you in abiding by them.

What are the terms of parole?

Parole is considered to be a privilege, so you must ensure that you abide by the terms and conditions surrounding it. Aside from the obvious of obeying federal and state laws and ordinances, such terms and conditions may vary on a case-by-case basis. Examples read as follows:

  • You may have to attend meetings with your assigned parole officer as directed.
  • You may have to reside in a residence approved by your assigned parole officer.
  • You may have to obtain permission from your assigned parole officer to stay overnight outside of your approved residence or to change residences altogether.
  • You may have to submit to drug or alcohol testing at any time as directed by your assigned parole officer.
  • You may have to submit to searches without a warrant by your assigned parole officer.
  • You may have to refrain from owning or possessing any firearms or weapons.
  • You may have to refrain from purchasing, using, possessing, distributing, or administering illegal drugs and paraphernalia.
  • You may have to maintain steady employment.

What if I am accused of violating the terms of my parole?

If your assigned parole officer has reasonable cause to believe that you violated the terms of your parole, then they may have to arrest you. Importantly, they do not need a warrant for your arrest to do so. And once they report your violation, you will have to attend a parole hearing. Here, the court will determine whether to strip you of your parole. If they decide to do so, then you may have to return to jail or prison to carry out the remainder of your original sentence.

Unfortunately, a situation may happen where you accidentally violate a term of your parole. And such a violation can be as minor as forgetting about a scheduled meeting with your assigned parole officer. Or, a situation may arise where your assigned parole officer does not have reasonable cause to arrest you but does so anyway.

If you find yourself in a difficult situation such as this, then you must retain legal representation from a competent New Jersey criminal defense lawyer. We will do everything in our power to fight for your freedom. Call us today.

Our Recent Blogs

What Whistleblower Protections Am I Provided in the Workplace?

You may wish to hold an honest job to earn an honest living for yourself and your family. So you may grow uneasy as…

Can Social Media Be Used Against Me in Court?

You must understand that the team of prosecutors in your criminal court case is going to do everything in its power to prove your…

Can My Employer Make Me Work Overtime?

You may enjoy your job, and therefore not mind when your employer asks you to work extra hours. However, before agreeing to this, you…

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc