Juvenile Crimes in New Jersey | What to Know

Contact Us
handcuffs crime

If your child was charged with a crime, you will likely have many questions regarding your legal options. To learn more about juvenile crimes in New Jersey, reach out to our experienced New Jersey criminal defense lawyers today. Our legal team is on your side no matter what you are facing. Give us a call to get started.

What are juvenile crimes in New Jersey?

Keep in mind that anyone under the age of 18 is deemed to be a juvenile. As a result, the state handles juvenile crimes differently than those executed by individuals over the age of 18. If a child under the age of 18 is arrested in New Jersey, their case will be handled differently than standard adult criminal cases. Generally, juvenile cases are held in the family division of New Jersey’s Superior Court and are heard by the Juvenile Conference Committee. Instead of a judge, this Committee of volunteers will decide the outcome of your child’s case. It is essential that parents of juvenile offenders comprehend that if the offense is very serious, the case can be brought up to adult criminal court. Some of the offenses that can be waived up to criminal court include murder, rape, assault, and other violent acts. If you and your child are facing this situation, it is important that you hire the services of a skilled attorney as soon as you are able to. With the help of our committed and assertive legal team, you can feel comfortable knowing that your child’s future will be protected.

What is juvenile representation?

Recognize that all juvenile offenders must be represented by an attorney in the state of New Jersey. Despite the fact that adults in New Jersey are permitted to waive their rights to legal representation, this is not a choice for juveniles encountering criminal charges. Because of this, a parent of an accused juvenile must retain the services of an attorney, and will consequently be held financially responsible for the associated costs. Regardless, if you believe you are unable to afford the cost of an attorney, you may ask for the appointment of a public defender. Unfortunately, New Jersey courts often deny requests for public defenders if they think the parent or guardian is qualified to pay for an attorney.

If you have additional questions about juvenile representation, do not wait to reach out to our skilled attorneys today to learn more.

Contact our Firm

The dedicated and compassionate attorneys at Vigilante Law Firm, P.C. would be happy to provide you with assistance in your case and help you protect your future when so much is on the line. Contact us today to schedule a consultation so we can assess the specific circumstances surrounding your lawsuit.

Our Recent Blogs

What Should I Do If I Believe I’m a Victim of Religious Discrimination in the Workplace?

Nobody should have to fear that they'll be discriminated against in the workplace for any reason, whether it's for their gender, race, orientation, or…

Can I Obtain a Hardship License in New Jersey?

If you have obtained a DWI charge in New Jersey, our firm understands that you may be overwhelmed. If you are unsure about whether…

What Are the Implications of a Criminal Record in NJ?

Having a criminal record can have devastating effects on an individual's life. To learn more about this, continue reading and give our experienced New…

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc