Where Do I Report Workplace Discrimination in New Jersey?

Contact Us
person using laptop

If you have been discriminated against in your place of work, then you must immediately report the incident. Though, you may be unsure as to which authorities to turn to. Read on to discover where you should report this and how a seasoned employment discrimination attorney in Gloucester County, NJ, at The Vigilante Law Firm, P.C., can assist you in doing so.

Where can I report workplace discrimination in the state of New Jersey?

If you have a discrimination complaint, you may express it to your workplace’s Human Resources department. However, if you believe that the discrimination you experienced or continue to experience is on a greater scale, you can always report it to the federal Equal Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Of note, you may contact the United States EEOC at 1-800-669-6820. With this, you must file your charge with the EEOC within 180 calendar days from the date that the workplace discrimination took place. This deadline may be extended to 300 calendar days if your state or local agency has laws that prohibit such workplace discrimination on the same basis.

What’s more, if your workplace is in the state of New Jersey, you may also report your incident to a state-based agency. Namely, this agency is the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights. You may contact this division at 1-833-653-2748. Or, you may submit a Discrimination Complaint Processing Form. Within this form, you may be expected to fill out the following pieces of information:

  • The name of the company and the job title you hold there (or if you were a job applicant, vendor, contractor, or otherwise).
  • The full name, title, and phone number of the person or persons you believe discriminated against you.
  • The basis of the discrimination against you (age, color, nationality, pregnancy, race, religion, or otherwise).
  • An explanation as to why you feel you have been discriminated against.
  • Whether you are seeking a certain remedy.

Similar to the federal EEOC, you must file your charge with the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights within 180 days of the date of your incident.

What evidence do I need for my report?

If you wish to take legal action against your employer for the workplace discrimination you have experienced, then you may need to supply pieces of proof that point to these actions. Examples of evidence include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Pictures or videos of any displays of discrimination.
  • Oral or written witness testimonies of discrimination.
  • Copies of the discrimination reports made to your manager or the Human Resources department.

In the end, one of the competent New Jersey employment lawyers is ready and willing to stand by your side when filing a charge against your employer. Contact The Vigilante Law Firm today.

Our Recent Blogs

Can My Employer Make Me Work Overtime?

You may enjoy your job, and therefore not mind when your employer asks you to work extra hours. However, before agreeing to this, you…

Is There a Different BAC Limit for Underage Drivers?

Upon being pulled over on suspicion of driving while intoxicated (DWI), a law enforcement officer may have you submit to a breathalyzer test. This…

What Labor Laws Apply to Remote Employees?

First things first: it is unacceptable to be treated any differently by your employer simply because you work remotely. This is mainly because the…

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc