What if I Receive an Underage DWI Charge in New Jersey?

Contact Us

Many young adults anxiously await their 21st birthdays. In the United States, 21-years-old is the age at which one can legally drink alcohol. That being said, some choose to experiment with alcohol before they are legally allowed to purchase and consume it. Some of these underage drinkers will then choose to drive drunk, resulting in an underage DWI. An underage DWI is taken seriously considering you are breaking multiple laws. If you are charged with an underage DWI in New Jersey, you will want to contact a skilled criminal defense attorney to fight your charges. Read on to learn more about underage DWIs in New Jersey and the penalties they carry.

What Constitutes an Underage DWI?

Your DWI penalties are based upon your blood alcohol content (BAC) and your prior offenses. If you are over 21-years-old, a BAC of .08% or higher will result in a DWI charge. Because underage drinking is illegal, a BAC of .01% will result in a DWI for those under 21.

What are the Penalties for an Underage DWI?

If you are pulled over and charged with drinking and driving under the age of 21, you may face the following penalties:

  • A driver’s license suspension between 30 and 90 days
  • 15-30 days of community service
  • IDRC program completion
  • Various fees and fines

If you are caught again, your penalties will increase.

What do I do if I am Charged with an Underage DWI?

Drinking and driving puts you, your passengers, other drivers, and pedestrians in a dangerous situation. As a result, these charges are not taken lightly. When pulled over, it is important to comply. For example, failing to take a breathalyzer test can further increase your penalties. If you are pulled over and charged with an underage DWI, you will want to contact a skilled criminal defense attorney. An experienced criminal defense attorney will explore all of your options and work to fight your charges and reduce your penalties.

If you or a loved one receives an underage DWI charge, contact our firm today to discuss your case. We understand that people make mistakes and we are here to fight for you.

Contact our Firm

The dedicated and compassionate attorneys at Vigilante Law Firm, P.C. would be happy to provide you with assistance in your case and help you protect your future when so much is on the line. Contact us today to schedule a consultation so we can assess the specific circumstances surrounding your lawsuit.

Our Recent Blogs

When Will I Get My Driver’s License Back After a DWI?

To learn from your mistakes, you may be willing to pay the full extent of consequences for driving while intoxicated (DWI). Namely, such consequences…

What Is Marital Status Discrimination?

You may consider your marital status (i.e., single, married, separated, divorced, or widowed) to be a personal matter that has no effect on your…

What Defenses Can I Take Against Child Abuse?

When all you do is love and care for your minor child, it is heartbreaking to receive notice that your former spouse is throwing…

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc