New Jersey has some of the strictest gun laws in the United States. As a result, there is a rigid protocol that must be followed when it comes to purchasing a gun. Failing to meet these requirements can result in serious legal consequences. Read on to learn more about how you can legally purchase a gun in New Jersey.
Can I Own a Gun?
In New Jersey, you cannot purchase a gun if you fall into one of the following categories:
- Those convicted of aggravated assault, arson, burglary, extortion, homicide, kidnapping, robbery, sexual assault
- Those committed for mental disorder unless there is satisfactory proof they no longer suffer from a disorder that handicaps them from handling a firearm
- Those convicted of the unlawful use, possession, or sale of controlled dangerous substances
- Minors under the age of 18
- Those who are drug dependent
- Those who have physical defects that make them unsafe to handle a firearm
What Documents Do I Need to Apply for a Gun Permit?
In order to purchase a gun, you will first need to apply for a gun permit. In order to apply for the permit, there are a number of documents you will have to submit. This includes:
- Two character references
- An executed Consent for Mental Health Records Search
- A passport
- Your driver’s license
It is important to note that obtaining a gun permit allows you to purchase a gun, but it will not allow you to carry your gun. This is is a separate permit that is difficult to obtain in New Jersey.
How to Purchase a Gun
Once you have obtained your purchasing permit, you can buy a gun in your state. When individuals decide to purchase a gun, it must be from a licensed dealer or a resident of the state. Handgun transfers are held by the New Jersey State Firearms Investigation Unit, with some exceptions. These exceptions include firearms willed to a transferee and those brought into the state by new residents.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding New Jersey’s gun laws and the process of legally purchasing a gun, contact our firm today.
Contact our Firm
The dedicated and compassionate attorneys at Vigilante Law Firm, P.C. would be happy to provide you with assistance in your case and help you protect your future when so much is on the line. Contact us today to schedule a consultation so we can assess the specific circumstances surrounding your lawsuit.