Gun laws are different in every state. New Jersey has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. As a result, it is important to know about New Jersey’s gun laws and the potential penalties associated with gun crimes.
Who Cannot Own a Gun?
While people in the United States have the right to bear arms under the Second Amendment of the Constitution, states can make their own regulations as well. This can include who may own a firearm and how it can be used. As a result, the following people cannot obtain a firearm in New Jersey:
- Those convicted of aggravated assault, arson, burglary, extortion, homicide, kidnapping, robbery, sexual assault
- Those committed for mental disorder unless there is satisfactory proof they no longer suffer from a disorder that handicaps them from handling a firearm
- Those convicted of the unlawful use, possession, or sale of controlled dangerous substances
- Minors under the age of 18
- Those who are drug dependent
- Those who have physical defects that make them unsafe to handle a firearm
Types of Gun Crimes
If you wish to purchase a gun in the state of New Jersey, you will have to get a permit. If you wish to carry your guns, an additional permit is necessary. In New Jersey, it is difficult to obtain a license to carry. It is important to know that there is a mandatory waiting period to receive a handgun. This is 30 days for residents of the state and 45 days for non-residents.
- Unlawful possession of handguns is classified as a second-degree criminal offense.
- This charge can subject a person to a possible prison sentence of five to 10 years in state prison. In addition, this crime violates the Graves Act, which means the offender must serve minimum imprisonment before becoming eligible for parole.
- If a person possesses a rifle, Airsoft gun, shotgun, paintball gun, or BB gun, they can face three to five years in state prison.
- Unlawful possession of any illegal weapons besides these is a fourth-degree crime, resulting in up to 18 months in prison.
If you or a loved one has been charged with a gun crime in New Jersey, you will want to reach out to an experienced criminal defense attorney. Gun crimes are taken seriously and can have severe penalties. Our firm will explore all possible legal avenues and fight on your behalf. Contact us today to speak with a skilled attorney.
Contact our Firm
The dedicated and compassionate attorneys at Vigilante Law Firm, P.C. would be happy to provide you with assistance in your case and help you protect your future when so much is on the line. Contact us today to schedule a consultation so we can assess the specific circumstances surrounding your lawsuit.