Underage DWI Charges in New Jersey | What to Know

Contact Us

New Jersey works hard to hold drunk drivers responsible and accountable for their actions. As a result, DWI charges can be severe. If you are underage and you receive a DWI, your charges can have a major impact on your future. Read on to learn more about DWI charges in New Jersey.

What Constitutes a DWI?

New Jersey has a zero-tolerance law. This law holds drunk drivers accountable in an effort to ensure that they do not repeat this dangerous behavior. If you are over the age of 21 and you are pulled over with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08% or higher, you may receive a DWI. But, if you are under 21, a BAC of just .01% can result in DWI charges.

What are the Penalties for a First-Offense Underage DWI?

When an underage driver receives a DWI, New Jersey courts work to get this young individual back on the right track. Some of the penalties for a first-offense underage DWI may include:

  • License suspension
    • The individual’s driver’s license can be suspended by the state for 30 to 90 days.
    • Teenagers with a probationary license are required to complete a four-hour remedial driving course without the possibility of receiving a basic driver’s license for one year. If the driver has a learner’s permit, he or she must complete the four-hour class and face an additional 90 days suspension. 
  • Community service
    • Underage DWI offenders will likely be ordered by the court to complete 15 to 30 days of community service.
  • Treatment programs
    • All underage DWI offenders are required to complete the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center (IDRC) program or a similarly approved rehabilitation program. The IDRC will conduct an evaluation and interview before referring the driver to a treatment level that is appropriate. This level is based on the evaluation, the individual’s driving record, and the BAC at the time of the violation. The driver may also be ordered to pay fees associated with these programs. 

If you are facing charges for an underage DWI, you will need the help of an experienced and dedicated criminal defense attorney. Our firm will work to explore all possible avenues of defense. Reach out today to discuss your case. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can begin building your defense.

Contact our Firm

The dedicated and compassionate attorneys at Vigilante Law Firm, P.C. would be happy to provide you with assistance in your case and help you protect your future when so much is on the line. Contact us today to schedule a consultation so we can assess the specific circumstances surrounding your lawsuit.

Our Recent Blogs

What Whistleblower Protections Am I Provided in the Workplace?

You may wish to hold an honest job to earn an honest living for yourself and your family. So you may grow uneasy as…

Can Social Media Be Used Against Me in Court?

You must understand that the team of prosecutors in your criminal court case is going to do everything in its power to prove your…

Can My Employer Make Me Work Overtime?

You may enjoy your job, and therefore not mind when your employer asks you to work extra hours. However, before agreeing to this, you…

Website built and managed by Accel Marketing Solutions, Inc