It is important to recognize that New Jersey has stricter gun permit laws than most states do. If you would like to learn more, continue reading and give our experienced New Jersey criminal defense lawyers. Our legal team is committed to ensuring you have the knowledge and resources you need to make informed decisions regarding your future.
Can I own a gun in the state of New Jersey?
In New Jersey, you are unable to purchase a gun if you are considered to be a part of one of the following categories:
- Those sentenced with aggravated assault, arson, burglary, extortion, homicide, kidnapping, robbery, sexual assault
- Those committed for mental disorders unless there is sufficient evidence they no longer suffer from a disorder that handicaps them from handling a firearm
- Those charged with the unlawful use, possession, or sale of controlled dangerous substances
- Minors under the age of 18
- Those who are drug dependent
- Those who have physical defects that make them unsafe to handle a firearm
What documents are required to be able to apply for a gun permit?
In order to buy a gun, you will first need to apply for a gun permit. In order to apply for the permit, there are several different documents you will have to submit. This includes the following:
- Two character references
- An executed Consent for Mental Health Records Search
- A passport
- Your driver’s license
You will want to keep in mind that obtaining a gun permit entitles you to purchase a gun, but it will not permit you to carry your gun. This is an independent permit that is not easy to obtain in the state of New Jersey.
What steps should I take when purchasing a gun in New Jersey?
After you have obtained your purchasing permit, you can purchase a gun in your state. If individuals choose to purchase a gun, it must be from a licensed dealer or a resident of the state. Handgun transfers are held by the New Jersey State Firearms Investigation Unit, with some abnormalities. These exceptions include firearms willed to a transferee and those brought into the state by new residents.
Do not hesitate to reach out to our firm if you have any questions or concerns regarding New Jersey’s gun laws and the process of legally purchasing a gun, or if you have been charged with a gun crime. Our legal team is dedicated to ensuring that you and your future are protected.
Contact our Firm
The dedicated and compassionate attorneys at Vigilante Law Firm, P.C. would be happy to provide you with assistance in your case and help you protect your future when so much is on the line. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.