Allan E. Richardson, Esq
Allan E. Richardson, Esq. concentrates his practice in employment and constitutional rights of both employers and employees. He has been recognized by the New Jersey Supreme Court as a Certified Civil Trial Attorney since 2001. He is rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible assessment by that national organization, and has been named a SuperLawyer in 2005, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020. The Supreme Court of New Jersey appointed him to the District IV Ethics Committee, which investigates claims of professional misconduct against attorneys.
He has extensive trial experience in state and federal courts in actions brought under the First, Fourth and Fourteenth amendments of the United States Constitution, Title VII, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Fair Labor Standards Act, The Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) and other substantive federal laws, as well as state claims under the Law Against Discrimination and the Conscientious Employee Protection Act, among others.
He has mediated more than 100 cases as both a Superior Court of New Jersey R. 1:40 mediator and a United States District Court for the District of New Jersey Local Rule 301.1 mediator.
He provides consultation to clients on employment and constitutional issues and investigates claims of harassment and discrimination in the workplace on behalf of employers.
- 1991 New Jersey
- 1991 Pennsylvania (inactive)
- 1992 District of New Jersey
- 1992 Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- 2000 Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Camden County Bar Association
- Gloucester County Bar Association (president 2006-2007, trustee 2001-2006)
- 1976 Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, B.A. Journalism
- 1991 Widener University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
Published Federal Cases as Lead Counsel and/or On the Brief
- B&M Auto Salvage & Towing, LLC v. Twp. of Fairfield, 588 Fed. Appx. 193 (3d. Cir. 2014), 14th Amendment due process; negligent retention and supervision; tortious interference
- Calloway v. Boro of Glassboro Dept. of Police, 89 F.Supp.2d 543 (D.N.J. 2000), Americans With Disabilities Act; Rehabilitation Act; civil rights
- Cannon v. Vineland Hous. Auth., 627 F. Supp. 2d 171 (D.N.J. 2008), Fair Labor Standards Act; New Jersey Wage and Hour Law
- Harding Brass, LLC v. Zoning Bd. of Adjustment of the Twp. of Hamilton, 100 F. Supp. 3d 417 (D.N.J. 2015), First Amendment, retaliation
- Jones v. Dalton, 867 F. Supp. 2d 572 (D.N.J. 2012), Fourth Amendment wrongful arrest; qualified immunity; equal protection; malicious prosecution; Monell; civil conspiracy
- King v. County of Gloucester, 483 F. Supp. 2d 396 (D.N.J. 2007), Fee application after civil rights claim against co-defendants; my clients were dismissed on summary judgment in an unpublished case
- King v. County of Gloucester, 302 Fed. Appx. 92 (3d.Cir. 2008), Eighth Amendment; 14th Amendment Due Process; qualified immunity; Monell
- Knight v. Borough of Penns Grove, 50 Fed. Appx. 92 (3d.Cir. 2002), Fourth Amendment wrongful arrest and malicious prosecution
- Leuallen v. Borough of Paulsboro, 180 F. Supp. 2d 615 (D.N.J. 2002), Sanctions against opposing counsel for frivolous litigation
- Recchia v. Kellogg Co., 951 F. Supp. 2d 676 (D.N.J. 2013), Age Discrimination in Employment Act; Older Workers Benefits Protection Act; Employment Retirement and Income Security Act; Americans With Disabilities Act; New Jersey Law Against Discrimination; severance package; waiver of rights
- Smith v. Township Of East Greenwich, 519 F.Supp.2d 493 (D.N.J. 2007), New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, gender discrimination, disparate impact; Conscientious Employee Protection Act; retaliation; intentional infliction of emotional distress; 14th Amendment due process and equal protection
- Smith v. Twp. of E. Greenwich, 344 Fed. Appx. 740 (3d.Cir. 2009), New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, gender discrimination, disparate impact; Conscientious Employee Protection Act; retaliation; intentional infliction of emotional distress; 14th Amendment due process
- Trafton v. City of Woodbury, 799 F. Supp. 2d 417 (D.N.J. 2011)
- Simmermon v. Gabbianelli, 865 F. Supp. 2d 589 (D.N.J. 2012), First Amendment; retaliation; 14th Amendment equal protection; 14th Amendment procedural due process; legislative immunity; qualified immunity
- Simmermon v. Gabbianelli, 932 F. Supp. 2d 626 (D.N.J. 2013), 14th Amendment equal protection, selective enforcement, class of one; First Amendment, retaliation
- Trafton v. City of Woodbury, 799 F. Supp. 2d 417 (D.N.J. 2011), Fourth Amendment, wrongful arrest, excess force; Monell; qualified immunity